Page 1 of 1

Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:01 am
by circe
Hi,

with the help of pgAdmin (Postgres 8.3), Windows XP, I created a backup of my hand history database.

When I try to restore this database, I get these error messages:

C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_restore.exe -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -d test "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Christian\Desktop\my_handhistories_08_02_2009.backup"
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 2186; 0 17259 TABLE DATA holdem_hand_player_detail postgres
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR: extra data after last expected column
CONTEXT: COPY holdem_hand_player_detail, line 429614: "506410 4682 8 24 39 49.00 0.50 0.00 2.00 0.00 1.00 0.00 3.00 4 6 7 6 t f t f t f t f t f t f f 2.00 ..."
WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 1

Prozess beendete mit Exitcode 1.

Can you please tell me, why the restore does not work?

With kind regards

Christian

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:04 am
by WhiteRider
What format did you backup in? (compress/TAR/plain)

Plain won't restore correctly - see this post.

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:39 am
by circe
Thank you very much for your feedback. I backed up in TAR format. Is it possible to restore my hand histories ?

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:01 am
by WhiteRider
That looks as if the backup isn't correct but I'll try to get one of our postgres experts to take a look.

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:06 pm
by circe
Hi again,

the backup process finished with the exit code 0. Therefore I think that the backup file might be in good shape. If it is helpful for you, I can send you the backup (3,91 GB).

With kind regards

Christian

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:30 pm
by WhiteRider
Yes, that does sound hopeful - you can attach your backup to a ticket on our Support system , and link to this thread in the reference field of the ticket so that we can investigate.

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:18 pm
by circe
I tried to attach the backup file to a support ticket, however it did not work. I think the backup is too large. It has 3,91 GB. Now what?

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:44 pm
by WhiteRider
That's not too big, but you might need to zip it - right click the file > Send To Compressed Folder.
EDIT: sorry - I misread. 3.9 GB is quite a lot too big, yes. I read it as MB.

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:26 pm
by circe
So how can we continue to investigate the restore problem? What do you suggest?

Re: Problems with restoring a Database

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:33 am
by WhiteRider
Please schedule a remote assistance session where someone can logon to your computer with you and directly troubleshoot/resolve the issue.